Monday, February 6, 2012

Tsunami prank caused public scare in Cebu

When an earthquake with 6.9 magnitude hit Cebu around 11:49 a.m. today, I wasn't shaken. 

In fact, I managed to post "Earthquake!!!" in my Facebook and Twitter accounts while the rest of my colleagues are already under their tables.

The earthquake only rocked our building for less than a minute. Everyone was told to leave right after the floor stopped shaking. 

Upon reaching the safe ground, I immediately called my mom at home, where she and my one-year-old son were left alone. I wanted to check if she and Lance felt the earthquake, too. 

"O uy! (Oh yes!)" she confirmed, "Kusog kaayo ang uyog sa balay pero okay ra mi  (The earthquake shook the house hard but we're okay)." 

She added that Lance didn't even cry. To be honest, I was less worried knowing that my mom hurdled many earthquakes in her lifetime.The worst was in 1990 at 7.8 magnitude. For sure, she knows what to do.

At around 1:00 p.m., we were told to just go home. I found out that there was a tsunami alert raised.

"Is it really possible for a tsunami to hit Cebu?" I asked myself.

Though skeptical, I was happy that we were made to go home. I can't wait to check on Lance.

While on the cab with some of my colleagues, everyone including the cab driver shared the panic they felt during that short ground shaking experience. I just kept quiet then hesitantly told them that I didn't panic. 

When we were crossing the old Mactan bridge, we saw the super low tide sea. They jokingly said, it can be sign of an upcoming tsunami. We even teased the old driver to drive in super high speed should a tsunami attack us. We later on shove the idea of a tsunami given Cebu's geographical location and divine protection from the Holy Child, Señor Sto. Niño.

At past 2:00 p.m., my colleagues dropped me off at Jollibee-Gorordo where I can take a 13C jeep going downtown to get home. While I was aboard the jeep, my mind reeled over the miracles of Señor Sto. Niño especially on how he answered all my prayers for me and Lance. I always believe that my child has a special purpose here on earth. Then, a disturbing scream broke my deep thoughts.

"Tsunami!!! Naa na ang tsunami! (The tsunami is here!)" a woman back riding a running motorcycle shouted.

I was sitting at the jeep's front seat and saw the heavy traffic ahead of us along the two-way Echavez St. The motorcycle was going the opposite direction. 

"Buang! (Crazy!)" I said. The driver must have heard me and answered, "Dili imposible kay sa amoa gani sa Toledo taas na daw ang tubig (It's not impossible because water level is already high in our hometown in Toledo)."

Before I can retort, a horde of people was already frantically going to our direction loudly and repeatedly screaming, "Naa na ang tubig! (The water is here!)"

Everyone immediately got off the jeep including the driver and run along with the crowd. Private car owners did the same and even left their vehicles on the road. 

I, on the other hand, ran against the crowd who were pulling me to go with them and warning me about the water, which they said is already in Colon St. 

I cried I told them I can't because my mom and son is at home, which is just blocks away from Colon St. Worst, one guy said that the water is already in Gaisano-Main mall and it would be crazy to go there. That mall is just two blocks away from our house! 

So I scampered to the direction of our house, which is 10 to 15 blocks away from where the jeep stopped. I know I'm already in panic mode. If the water is already in Gaisamo Main, for sure I won't be able to come on time. This made me cry harder while forcing myself to run faster. 

Scenes of dead children as casualties of the last typhoon Sendong flashed my mind. I feared for Lance. I ran even faster.

Further fueling my fear are the worried faces of the people coming toward me while running with their children and some small belongings and momentarily looking behind their back to check if the water is already coming.

While running really fast, I tried to send a text message to my mom, "Ma, wer u? On my way home now." There was no reply. I only have P2 left on my cellphone load so the second and last text message was sent to my news reporter friend, "Dale, tawagi ko pls, wa koy load (please call me, I don't have load)." I was hoping that he'd tell me that there was no tsunami.

When I passed by our barangay hall, I heard a big man on motorbike shout, "It's false alarm." But it didn't stop the people nor I. It only made me run faster. 

Thank God! There was no tsunami water whatsoever when I got home. I, however, found my mom, brother, and Lance at our rooftop I immediately took my son and hugged him really tight. I was crying really hard, too.

Later on I realized that we are joined by strangers who requested to stay on our rooftop, where they felt safe should the giant wave arrive.

Our neighbors are also on their respective rooftops preparing for the big splash. 

I received a reply from Dale, who I guess sensed what I needed from him, "Tsunami not true."

Somehow it was a relief. I told my family to go back inside our house to further monitor the news.

A police car later on roved around our area announcing that tsunami alert was cancelled and for everyone to stay calm.

The announcement came in too late. The damage has already been done.

Why didn't the authorities announce correctly that the tsunami alert expires two hours after the earthquake? An announcement in layman's terms should have been released. I saw the official announcement online from  Philvolcs but it was only released around 2:30 p.m.?! 

Who are these inconsiderate pranksters? I think they should be held accountable for causing such unnecessary public alarm.

Tsunami Prank Victim
Please notice that this young mom no longer mind to run without slippers as long as she can bring her newborn baby away from the Tsunami. Shame on you pranksters!
(source: www.pullkicksmash.posterous.com)
I have been a reporter and was trained how to verify news but at that moment all I can think of is my son, whom I should go rush and rescue. I think all of the victims of that prank felt the same. To keep their families safe and run for their lives.

We are still experiencing several aftershocks while writing this post. We are still tuned in with the news despite the lifting of the alert. 

Amid this afternoon's turmoil, I still reaped something good.

Humanity unfolded right before my very eyes. Except for those heartless pranksters, it's good to realize that some people can actually leave material possessions, value more their families, and help others even if they are faced with the same adversity.

If only we can stay consistent with these values, I think humanity can stand prepared to any forms of tsunami. 


Happy Thought:
We are safe. Praise to you our Almighty God. 

8 comments:

  1. I think PHIVOLCS has done nothing wrong because they are just doing what is supposed to be done by warning people tru Tsunami Alert. They can't say that these warning will expire in few.. since there basis is subjective which is nature.

    Good thing no major casulaties like stampid happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miong,

      Thank you for dropping by my blog and posting a comment.

      You have misconstrued my statement. I wasn't lambasting the fact that they issued an alert. It wasn't the alert that caused people to panic but the pranksters who made false announcement on the road.

      Please note that the Philvolcs has cancelled the alert saying that the two-hour observation has lapsed. It means, it's already impossible to expect a tsunami beyond that period.

      Perhaps, the authorities should be more elaborate on their announcement to keep everyone not only informed but also prepared to what should be expected.

      Delete
  2. bad prankster bad.. :) the difference with not having any kids is that you only have yourself to think of. :(

    I work at mez 2.. really small world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Regina, Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    yeah the joke behind Chona Mae hehe.. i had quite a fair share of this chaos.. my friends and I met in IT Park because they were also worried for our safety..

    There's just one thing that I can say. Nature these days has been changing its patterns, that we can never be sure of what's going to happen. It's always good to be alert at times. With that recent earthquake, a new fault line just came to be known. That wasn't mapped out by PHILVOLCS. SO let's always be on our guard guys..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you and if ever someone cries wolf again I bet I would still find myself running
      :D

      Thanks for returning the visit. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi there, I came across your blog via bloggers.com. I thought of checking it out and started reading this post. Half-way through I almost started crying because I could almost feel what you felt while running towards your home with your son in your mind. I, too, am a Mom to a little boy who turned one not long ago. I think I've really become a crybaby or something since giving birth to him. Being hard on the outside and soft in the inside, more or less defines me nowadays as a Mom I guess. But honestly, those pranksters have nothing better to do I guess. The chaos could have been worst and injured others you know. But thank goodness, all was well in the end. Thanks for this post.
    P.S. I speak Bisaya too :-)
    Ayo-ayo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear. ;-)

      By the way, were you also from Cebu?

      Delete